Violence Against Women

Home » Violence Against Women
26 - Jan - 2014

In the past few months or so, there has been a national discussion about violence against women, the prevalence of it in our society, and what to do about curbing the disturbing and awful behaviors that result in women being the victims of these terrible crimes.  Much of the conversation stemmed from the incident involving NFL running back Ray Rice, and his brutal assault of his then-fiance, which was captured on video tape.  Many people felt that the punishment he received, either legally or professionally, was not nearly enough for the vicious assault the cameras depicted.  And many more people questioned the sense of Mr. Rice’s fiance in marrying him some weeks later, and not walking away from a relationship in which she had so clearly been the victim of physical abuse.

To that last point, everyone must understand that each and every situation is deeply personal and someone’s choices what to do in their own relationship must be respected.  There is no sense in questioning someone about doing something in the context of a relationship we are not personally involved in.  There is, however, something to be said for a woman understanding all of her options in a situation that has turned ugly, either by way of physical, emotional or sexual abuse, or a combination of all three.  It is quite a sad prospect that a woman might stay in a relationship because she feels trapped, or does not know that she has options.

Should you find yourself in a situation where you have been the victim of abuse, and wish to do something but are not quite sure what to do, please know that you can contact a lawyer to have them walk you though your options.  Sometimes the mere unfamiliarity with the criminal justice system causes people not to file police reports, or questions regarding rights in divorce proceedings keep people from moving forward in ending an abusive relationship. Women in these situations can take such actions as filing for a Personal Protection Order against her abuser or obtaining an order from the family law court for exclusive use of the marital residence.  We know how difficult all those things can be, having had experience on both sides of criminal justice system, and now practicing in family law, and we will be with you every step of the way to ensure you are protected.  If you have questions, please give us a call at (248) 540-1600 to set up an appointment to talk with us.”

Categories: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *